Enviroment & Water
Observe - Understand - Decide
Increasing populations and growing prosperity place pressure on the natural environment and result in problems such as contamination of land and water resources, desertification and overgrazing. In turn, the depletion of natural resources can frequently lead to land scarcity and widespread changes in land use. Environmental issues, such as climate change, transcend national boundaries; they impact the whole planet and affect the well-being of nations.
GAF provides best-in-class geo-information solutions and systems that assist with the preservation of the natural environment and the management of the Earth’s natural resources. Our integrated service approach combines information from a range of disciplines, topics, sources and scales, and addresses issues from local to continental level. Our genuinely multi-thematic service approach allows us to offer proven solutions customised to the needs of our clients. Geospatial information enables cost efficient and area-wide observation and monitoring of the environment and natural resources. It also helps improve the understanding of the dynamics and complexities of the physical interactions between nature and society. Modelling and scenario development makes it possible for us to describe and forecast the future consequences of decisions made today. In short: GAF provides geospatial data, as well as monitoring, information and decision support systems, that enable the successful management of the environment and natural resources.
Improving water management
The security and sustainable development of our water resources is one of the key challenges of the 21st century. Floods, droughts, water quality, water-ecosystem and soil-water-climate interactions, and the sustainability of resources are important issues in the field of water resources management and hydrology. The land surface, geology, soils and geomorphology govern important parts of the water cycle. Furthermore, climate variability and climate change also impact strongly on the state of the environment and renewable sources of energy; this is an area in which we can offer outstanding services for the mapping and monitoring of desertification, natural greening, reforestation and large irrigation projects.
GAF provides earth observation and geo-information solutions for quantifying the components of the water cycle and other valuable information that is essential in water resources assessment and management. We integrate such information into dedicated geographic information systems, which are tailored to the needs of decision makers, water managers, politicians or the general public, thus enabling informed decision making.
Extensive experience and a comprehensive portfolio
GAF has provided products and services for environmental areas of application ever since the company was founded. Our thematic expertise covers a broad range of environmental areas of application, such as conservation and habitat protection, biodiversity mapping and monitoring, infrastructure planning, spatial development and much more. Experience in various ecosystems has been gained in more than 100 countries, spread over 4 continents.
In order to meet your information requirements cost-efficiently and in the best possible way, our product and service portfolio comprises standardised as well as customised solutions ranging from simple mapping and monitoring tasks to the implementation of large and complex environmental information systems at the country level.
- Mapping and monitoring
- On-site field data and calibration information
- Land use inventories
- Inland and coastal water monitoring
- Change detection and time series analysis
- Risk management and environmental impact analysis
- Assessment of natural resources
- Hydrological, hydrogeological maps, water point GIS
- Integrated water resources GIS/database
- Transboundary water management systems
- Reservoir and recharge estimate studies
- Environmental and natural resource information systems
- Needs assessment, system design, implementation, integration and maintenance
- Environmental modelling and decision support
- Consulting and technical assistance
- Know-how transfer and institutional strengthening
- Integrated resource management and planning
- International and supranational institutions, international donor organisations
- National environment and natural resources ministries
- Multilateral and bilateral donor agencies and financing institutions
- Regional and local administrations
- Local, regional and national water authorities
- Research organisations
- Consulting businesses
- Non-governmental organisations (NGOs)
- Infrastructure/construction industry
- Mining industry