Land resources and its management form the basis of all societies. A sound land policy, good governance in land tenure, land use and land administration, and the sustainable management of natural man-made resources are critical success factors in ensuring economic growth, food security, nature conservation, the protection of vulnerable groups, poverty reduction and housing. Land policy and land policy instruments determine how a government provides access to land, offers tenure security, regulates the land market, implements land reform, protects the environment and levies land taxes. Such tasks are even more challenging in post-conflict or post-disaster areas, or where government systems are in transition.
GAF has more than 20 years of experience in the institutional and technical establishment of practical measures for improving governance in the areas of land management, agriculture, forestry and mining. GAF is a leading provider of top class consultancy services, cutting-edge information systems and software solutions for the organisation of cadastres and registries. This is underlined by the fact that GAF has implemented more than 2000 licences at ministries, governance boards, individual businesses and organisations in the public and private sectors. GAF can demonstrate a wide-ranging experience and a broad thematic scope within the land management sector, including the design and implementation of land information, registration and cadastral systems.
Successfully realised projects range from real property and mineral/hydrocarbon titling management systems to comprehensive agricultural and forestry cadastres and integrated land information systems. Solid and reliable administration and governance of land are essential for rural and urban areas, both in terms of ensuring the provision of living space and as an economic resource that supports the economy while ensuring the sustainable management of natural resources.
Urban development in particular, has been identified as one of the three high-priority EO4SD thematic areas (together with water resources management and agriculture and rural development). Indeed, many governments are facing worldwide the staggering growth of urban areas and the difficulty to properly cover the basic needs of the fast growing urban population.
The ability to successfully maintain or establish adequate services related to infrastructure, water suppl, electricity, sanitation, or poverty and education is then of paramount importance and has a strong influence on the overall development of a country. These are the areas where we proudly deliver a comprehensive range of solutions and appropriate consultancies.
- Institutional assessment and advice
- Land administration and land information systems
- Land registries and cadastre
- Land management support
- Parcel mapping and zoning
- National spatial data infrastructure
- Web-based information and mapping services
- Geodetic surveying and ground control
- High resolution satellite imagery and GIS mapping solutions for supporting cadastral maps
- Computerised cadastre systems and solutions: fully scaleable and user-friendly
- Land management and administration agencies
- Ministries of agriculture and forestry
- Ministries of economy, justice
- Ministries of mines and energy
- National, state, provincial, regional and local planning authorities
- International financing institutions such as the World Bank
- International organisations (FAO, IFAD, DLC...)
- Public services including tax assessment, emergency management, public works and homeland security planning