Forest and Climate Change Business Manager
The Forest and Climate Change business unit provides Earth Observation based technology that solves complex problems in geospatial forest monitoring and climate change implementation services.
About the Role
The Business Manager will report to the Sector Unit Head.
The Business Manager will lead on business and financial aspects in the pan-tropical forest management domain with the aim to ensure financial sustainability and profits are achieved for GAF. This includes reviewing specific projects or investment opportunities.
The Business Manager will be highly involved in business development by raising GAF’s profile with potential clients through your existing network and representing GAF at regional/national/international organisations and events.
The Business Manager will lead to assess, develop, implement strategically important and complex proposals, including structuring of the GAF team and wider industry consortium.
The Business Manager will oversee and implement complex programmes related to REDD+, Sustainable Forest Management, Land Use and Natural Resources Management. This will include responsibility for standard project management processes including preparation and management of project plans, GANTT charts, work packages, risk registers, quality control processes and budgets.
The Business Manager will manage a team of both GAF staff and external freelancers, ensuring those teams are directed and coordinated, with feedback and support provided as needed.
The Business Manager will ensure that GAF remains world-class in the tropical forest management domain. This will include providing expert advice on policy issues related to REDD+, Zero Deforestation etc, monitoring and improving defined project management methods, and development of technical specifications.
The Business Manager will be based in Munich and is expected to conduct travel to national and international clients as required.
About Your Business Development Skills
- You will have a strategic mind knowing how to plan for and maximise GAF’s long-term growth within the tropical forest management domain.
- You will have an entrepreneurial spirit and can find and secure new business opportunities.
- You will be a keen networker who is able to represent GAF to existing and new clients at national and international levels.
- You will have proven experience in developing and winning new client contracts through high quality bid preparation.
- You will have an existing professional network and an on-going desire to network in the professional world at regional, national and international levels.
About Your Programme Management Skills
- You will be an experienced programme manager having successfully delivered complex programmes in the tropical forest management domain.
- You will have demonstrated experience and achievements in organizational, financial and personnel management for large volume/complex projects.
- You will have managed large and varied teams and have an ability to proactively manage individual strengths and weaknesses (including one’s own) and understand how these influence the team’s performance.
About your Professional and Technical Skills
- You will have an advanced university degree (Masters or Ph.D) in forestry and remote sensing, environmental science, natural resources management, or related discipline.
- You will have a minimum of 20 years of professional working experience relating to forest management and remote sensing, land use and natural resources management programme implementation including at least 10 years at the international level is required.
- You will have professional competence and mastery of subject matter in the area of EO applications for improved tropical forest management.
- You will have excellent knowledge of GIS/remote sensing/image processing software, and cloud environments. You will also be highly experienced in standard business software such as MS Office.
- An additional benefit would be experience in providing consultancies/technical advice and/or conducting projects for to Multi-Lateral Development Banks, national donors, developing countries, international organisations such as UN, CIFOR etc. and with European client’s such as EU, ESA, and EEA.
- An additional benefit would be experience in L. America or SE Asia.
About your Language and Communications Skills
- You will be fluent in written and oral English.
- You will have exceptional writing, presentation and communication skills.
- You will have proven experience in the production, communication and dissemination of information and ideas to inform via written, oral, and visual media.
- An additional benefit would be knowledge of German, French or Spanish.
Engagement from earliest possible date.
recruitinggaf [dot] de
+49 (0) 89 121528 - 0
About our Benefits
- A job in one of Europe’s leading geo-service companies
- Variety instead of everyday routine in exciting geo-information projects
- A friendly and respectful working atmosphere in an international, interdisciplinary team
- Working cross-functional with other teams according to agile principles
- Optional corporate pension, travel health insurance world wide
- Operational health management
Would you like to work with us?
If you are interested in this career opportunity, please send your meaningful application including CV along with an indication of your salary expectations (gross) as well as your earliest entry date to recruitinggaf [dot] de. Please use the keyword "Forest and Climate Change Business Manager" in the header of your e-mail.