GIS and Remote Sensing Analyst – Forestry
GAF AG Forest Unit seeks technical support to projects related to geo-spatial forest and natural resources monitoring.
The Candidate will be expected to have strong technical qualifications in satellite image interpretation and processing. An understanding of climate change issues and how geo-spatial data can support forest monitoring is required.
The Job requires support to Project Managers with technical assistance in production of satellite based forest monitoring products and services in tropical countries. The Candidate will mainly work with multispectral satellite imagery, apply image pre-processing tasks, generation and quality control of reference samples, image classification with machine learning algorithms using open source and in-house software packages. Furthermore, the Job requires support to Project Managers with review and formatting of documents/reports to clients, quality control of documents/reports, and support to the preparation of power point presentations. The Candidate must demonstrate a capacity to work in a multi-disciplinary team. The full-time position will be limited to a one year contract.
- Young professional with a Bachelor or Master’s Degree with main focus on Remote Sensing, Geoinformatics, Geography, Forestry or related area of expertise;
- Ability to work in complex, multi-task team situation;
- Willingness + ability to familiarise with new topics quickly;
- Ability to work under time pressure / on deadlines; also pursue/keep track of longer term actions.
Required Technical skills:
- Remote sensing background;
- Technical experience in image processing / land cover classification;
- Experience with visual image interpretation of satellite imagery;
- Understanding of statistical analyses (sampling design, accuracy assessment);
- Programming skills in Python or R beneficial;
- Experience with PostgreSQL and PostGIS advantageous;
- Radar data processing skills would be beneficial.
- Business fluent German language skills;
- Must have good English language skills;
- French and/or Spanish advantageous.
as soon as possible
opportunity135gaf [dot] de (opportunity135gaf.de)
+49 (0) 89-121528-84
Further details: If you are interested in this career opportunity, please send your full CV in German or English to the email address mentioned above. Please use the keyword "Forestry" in the Header of your email. The submitted personal data will be treated according to the data protection laws in Germany. Additionally your application will be treated company confidential. If you are interested being registered in our internal expert database for future job opportunities, please mention this within your application so that we can contact you when an opportunity arises.