Junior Experts for GIS and EO-based Land Cover Mapping and Monitoring
For its headquarters in Munich GAF AG is looking for highly motivated professionals at the earliest possible date to support ongoing and future projects. This is an opportunity for several Junior Experts for GIS and EO-based Land Cover Mapping and Monitoring.
You will support us in projects of the European Copernicus Land program, especially in the field of high-resolution satellite image classification and interpretation for the generation of vector- and raster-based Land Cover/Land Use maps across Europe and globally.
Our department is specialized in Land Use and Land Cover monitoring combining both in-depth thematic knowledge and cutting-edge EO data analytics. Our products aim to help decision-makers across Europe and internationally to find sustainable and future-proof solutions for the protection, management and planning of our environment.
- Regional calibration and roll-outs of machine learning models for EO-based land cover classification and estimation of biophysical variables
- Creation and quality control of training and validation datasets
- Pre-and post-processing of vector and raster data
- Thematic, geometric and semantic quality control of vector and raster data, in particular of land cover/land use products
- Thematic interpretation of high and very-high resolution optical satellite imagery and derivation of high-quality products
- Collaboration within a small team, across departments and with international partners
What to expect:
- A responsible and varied job in one of Europe’s leading geo-information companies
- Insights in an exciting and technically cutting-edge work environment
- Comprehensive support when you start at GAF, as part of our mentoring programme
- Training and development - your experience and knowledge count
- A multicultural and respectful working environment and an interdisciplinary team of committed colleagues
- A leadership style based on trust
- Flexible working hours as part of our flexitime policy, to make it easier to combine work and your private life
- Company pension scheme (optional), travel health insurance with worldwide coverage
- Occupational health management
- Excellent public transport connections
- An attractive location in the western part of central Munich, with great opportunities for outdoor activities and recreation, including in the close vicinity
- ... and, last but not least: be your own barista! Enjoy fair trade organic coffee made in our traditional Italian espresso machine
- BSc / MSc degree or proven experience in a relevant subject, e.g. Geography, Environmental Sciences, Remote Sensing, etc..
- Solid knowledge of GIS applications (e.g. ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Solid understanding of land use/land cover classification and change concepts
- Good understanding of remote sensing basics and knowledge of EO data processing
- Fluency in English
- Self-motivated, independent, structured and responsible workstyle in a team-oriented environment
- Willingness and ability to learn new methodologies and workflows
- Perfect colour vision
- Knowledge of the EU Copernicus Earth Observation Program
- Knowledge/experience with tropical forest ecosystems and deforestation patterns
- Experience in handling in-situ data (e.g. OSM, national datasets)
- Experience in handling large volumes of data (vector and raster data processing)
- Knowledge and practical experience in visual interpretation of satellite image data in terms of land cover/land use
- Basic understanding of a high-level programming language (Python, R) that enables you to read and understand basic scripts. Hands-on experience with machine learning models is a plus
- Good command of the ArcGIS Model Builder
- Knowledge of German
- Engagement at the earliest possible date
- Full-time position, 40 hours per week
- Project contract duration at first with potential extension
Ms Ulla Weingart
recruitinggaf [dot] de
+49 (0)89 12 15 28 0
Are you interested in this position?
Then we look forward to receiving your application. Please send a cover letter, CV and any useful supporting documents, along with your (gross) salary expectations and your earliest possible availability to start, to recruitinggaf [dot] de. Please state „Junior Expert Land Cover Mapping“ as the subject.