Project Task Manager in the Field of EO-based Urban Planning/Development
As an innovative and internationally successful company with around 230 employees and more than 35 years of experience, GAF AG is one of the European market leaders for cross-platform EO-based geoinformation solutions.
In recent years, GAF AG has also been successful in supporting countries in improved urban development and planning using geo-spatial data. We want to further enhance this application domain by implementing innovative solutions using EO data for Cities to become more climate resilient, to assist them with implementing their National Urban Policies and fulfilling the UN Sustainable Development Goal 11 which has the objective “to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable"¹ , as well as supporting them to fulfill the UN Habitat III.
To help achieve our goals and activities, we are looking for a self-driven and highly motivated Project Task Manager in the Field of EO-based Urban Planning/Development who will be able to undertake the management of Urban projects in the framework of different international policy segments/UN Conventions with different clients who require urgent and innovative EO solutions for urban planning and monitoring. An essential component of your work will be to understand the client requirements and translate them into feasible, cost-effective technical solutions.
The projects are large volume budgets and are implemented with international Consortium Partners which include both Service Providers and R&D community. Thus addressing client needs, collaboration with clients and external partners as well as team work with the in-house resources at GAF will be essential for performing well.
The success of the team will hinge on your ability to foster an understanding at all levels on the focus of the work, the requirements of the client and meeting targets in a timely quality assured manner.
Your responsibilities include:
- Implementing Earth Observation projects, related to Urban Planning and Development; this includes planning, implementation and control of the project goals and delivering work package activities and deliverables
- Translating client requirements into technical workflows and processes in close collaboration with the GAF’s Technology Manager and manage technical Teams for implementation
- Balancing and prioritising resources to ensure scope, budget and time are controlled
- Ensuring compliance with both GAF and client required quality guidelines, standards, processes
- Communication with clients via training workshops, seminars, presentations, meetings and high-quality documentation
- Supporting Head of Unit with winning new client projects and proposal writing
- Researching and undertaking policy analysis on programmatic and international and national policy issues related to Urban Planning and Development in developing countries
- Scheduling, coordinating, and managing projects and resources, including monitoring and inspecting costs, work, and contractor performance
- Team Management: proactively manage individual strengths and weaknesses (including one’s own) and understand how these influence the team’s performance
- Ability to implement a technical workflow which requires a close interactions and iterative meetings with the clients such as World Bank, Asian Development Bank and counterparts in developing countries, as well as GAF internal production teams
- Organising and implementing the EO product generation under consideration of budget, schedule and resources
- Implementation of Quality Control and Quality Assurance of output products
- Preparation of high quality Project Reports and documentation presenting methods and results
- Support in proposal preparation for new acquisitions
- A job in one of Europe‘s leading geo-service companies
- Variety instead of everyday routine in exciting geo-information projects
- A friendly and respectful working atmosphere in an international, interdisciplinary team
- Working cross-functionally with other teams according to agile principles
- Optional corporate pension, travel health insurance world wide
- Operational health management
- Educational background: Minimum MSc. in Urban Planning/Development or similar, preferably with a focus on remote sensing
- Work experience in the Urban domain
- Experience and achievements in organizational, financial and personnel management for large volume/complex projects
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, or tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating, and managing projects and resources, including monitoring and inspecting costs, work, and contractor performance
- Ability to proactively manage individual strengths and weaknesses of Human Recourses and understand how these influence the team’s performance
- Profound / deeper understanding of modular process chains for thematic image analysis
- Minimum 8-10 years of relevant working experience
- Advanced knowledge of the mathematical/physical basics of remote sensing and the thematic analysis of satellite data
- Advanced practical experience in remote sensing, GIS, EO data processing/urban planning and spatial analytics/land use/ land cover classification
- Excellent reporting and communication skills
- Autonomous and self-responsible working as well as team working skills
- Excellent command of English
- Demonstrated report writing experience and skills required
- Experience in working various satellite data (e.g. Sentinel-1, Sentinel-2, Landsat, VHR)
- French or Spanish language skills would be an asset
Engagement from earliest possible date. Initial two years contract with optional permanent contract.
recruitinggaf [dot] de
+49 (0)89 121528-0
The Project Task Manager-Urban Planning will be based in Munich and is expected to conduct travel to national and international clients as required.
Your CV to this job advertisement should make references to each of the required skills and experiences. CVs that do not meet this requirement will not be considered for the application.
Would you like to work with us?
If you are interested in this career opportunity, please send your meaningful application (cover letter, CV and ancillary documents within one PDF file only (max. 10MB)) along with an indication of your salary expectations (gross) as well as your earliest entry date to recruitinggaf [dot] de. Please use the keyword “Project Task Manager - Urban Planning” in the header of your e-mail.
¹ United Nations (2015). Sustainable Development Goal 11. Retrieved from “Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable”: https://sdgs.un.org/goals/goal11