Remote Sensing Specialist for Forest Monitoring Tasks
For a number of years, GAF has been heavily involved in the production of land cover layers for large areas based on high-resolution and very high-resolution satellite data, and the development of processing chains in this context that are as automated as far as possible. Further areas of focus in the development of automated process chains relate to the monitoring of forest areas in context of climate change REDD+ projects and national forest monitoring systems. This is an opportunity for a Remote Sensing Specialist for Forest Monitoring Tasks looking to further develop his/her technically specific career in an international active company. To strengthen our capacities in the field of (semi-)automatic analysis of remote sensing data and the creation and implementation of modular processing chains, we are now looking for motivated experts with a focus on remote sensing, data analysis, optimising and implementing processing chains, with also a strong forestry and environmental background.
GAF AG seeks such experts to support its geo-spatial monitoring projects with a special focus on land use and forest monitoring projects in developing countries.
- Implementation of modular process chains for thematic image analysis and for supporting automatic evaluation procedures by close communication with our development teams by provision of assistance for further process enhancements
- Support of conceptual development of workflows for automatisation of image processing process chains (e.g. time-series analysis, bulk image classification)
- Implementation of specific evaluation modules/workflows for thematic image analysis with a focus on optical data and/or SAR, mainly in Python (or R)
- Organising and implementing the EO product generation under consideration of budget, schedule and resources
- Implementation of Quality Control and Quality Assurance of output products
- Support of project reporting and documentation of workflows and tools
What to expect:
- Variety instead of everyday routine in exciting projects in one of Europe’s leading geo-information companies
- Comprehensive support for your start at GAF (mentoring programme, German language courses)
- Personal responsibility & freedom to contribute and implement your own ideas
- Learning and development – your experience and knowledge count
- Multicultural and respectful working environment and an interdisciplinary team of committed colleagues
- Working cross-functional with other in-house teams according to agile principles
- Flexible working hours within the conditions of our flexitime scheme
- Optional corporate pension, travel health insurance world wide
- Operational health management
- Great location with fabulous opportunities for outdoor activities; also in the direct vicinity
- Perfect connection to public transport
- … and last but not least: Free coffee from our artisanal italian espresso machine (be your own barista)!
- Educational background: Minimum MSc. in ecology, forestry or similar, preferably with a focus on remote sensing and one of the following disciplines: tropical forestry, land use
- Profound / deeper understanding of modular process chains for thematic image analysis
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience
- Advanced knowledge of the mathematical/physical basics of remote sensing and the thematic analysis of satellite data
- Profound knowledge on machine learning, neural networks, ensemble learning techniques
- Advanced practical experience in remote sensing, GIS, EO data processing / tropical forest / land use/land cover classification/damage assessment/tree species classification
- Excellent reporting and communication skills
- Autonomous and self-responsible working as well as team working skills
- Excellent command of English
- Demonstrated report writing experience and skills required
- Programming experience and skills, especially in Python and/or R
- Basic knowledge of geodatabases, GeoServer, OGC Standards
- Knowledge on Docker Container, Microservices
- Experience in Cloud Computing on AWS or OTC
- French or Spanish language skills would be an asset
Start at earliest possible date.
recruitinggaf [dot] de
+49 (0) 89 121528 - 0
Would you like to work with us?
If you are interested in any of these career opportunity, please send your meaningful CV along with an indication of your salary expectations (gross) and your earliest entry date to recruitinggaf [dot] de. Please use the keyword “Remote Sensing Specialist for Forest Monitoring Tasks”.