Remote Sensing Specialist for Forest Monitoring Tasks
The Asset Unit (AU) Forestry is specialised for more than 15 years in provided services and solutions in the forest monitoring domain, whereas the scope is focused on humid and dry tropical ecosystems, but not limited to these. For our ongoing projects (especially www.reddcopernicus.info and www.eo4sd-fm.info) and upcoming opportunities the AU Forestry is looking for new colleagues.
This is an opportunity for a Remote Sensing Specialist for Forest Monitoring Tasks looking to further develop his/her technically specific career in an international active company. To strengthen our capacities in the field of (semi-)automatic analysis of remote sensing data and the creation and implementation of modular processing chains, we are now looking for motivated experts with a focus on remote sensing, data analysis, optimising and implementing processing chains, with also a strong forestry and environmental background.
GAF AG seeks such experts to support its geo-spatial monitoring projects with a special focus on land use and forest monitoring projects in developing countries.
- Implementation of modular process chains for forest monitoring and for supporting automatic evaluation procedures by close communication with our development teams by provision of assistance for further process enhancements
- Support of conceptual development of workflows for automatisation of image processing process chains (e.g. time-series analysis, bulk image classification) for forest monitoring
- Implementation of specific evaluation modules/workflows for thematic image analysis with a focus on optical data and/or SAR, mainly in Python
- Organising and implementing the EO product generation under consideration of budget, schedule and resources
- Implementation of Quality Control and Quality Assurance of output products
- Support of project reporting and documentation of workflows and tools
- Support during proposal phases
What to expect:
- Variety instead of everyday routine in exciting projects in one of Europe’s leading geo-information companies
- International projects in various tropical countries in the domain of development assistance
- Comprehensive support for your start at GAF (mentoring programme, German language courses)
- Personal responsibility & freedom to contribute and implement your own ideas
- Learning and development – your experience and knowledge count
- Multicultural and respectful working environment and an interdisciplinary team of committed colleagues
- Working cross-functional with other in-house teams according to agile principles
- Flexible working hours within the conditions of our flexitime scheme
- Optional corporate pension, travel health insurance world wide
- Operational health management
- Great location with fabulous opportunities for outdoor activities; also in the direct vicinity
- Perfect connection to public transport
- … and last but not least: Fully equipped kitchens, showers for our sportive bikers and runners, free coffee from our artisanal Italian espresso machine (be your own barista)!
- Educational background: Minimum MSc. in ecology, forestry or similar, preferably with a focus on remote sensing and one of the following disciplines: tropical forestry, land use
- Work experience in the domain of forest monitoring
- Profound / deeper understanding of modular process chains for thematic image analysis
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience
- Advanced knowledge of the mathematical/physical basics of remote sensing and the thematic analysis of satellite data
- Profound knowledge on machine learning, neural networks, ensemble learning techniques
- Advanced practical experience in remote sensing, GIS, EO data processing/tropical forest/land use/ land cover classification/ damage assessment/tree species classification
- Excellent reporting and communication skills
- Autonomous and self-responsible working as well as team working skills
- Excellent command of English
- Demonstrated report writing experience and skills required
- Programming experience and skills, especially in Python
- Basic knowledge of geodatabases, GeoServer, OGC Standards
- Knowledge on Docker Container, Microservices
- Experience in Cloud Computing on AWS or OTC
- Experience in working various satellite data (e.g. Sentinel-1, Sentinel-2, Landsat, VHR)
- French or Spanish language skills would be an asset
- Start at an earliest possible date
- Initial one year contract with optional extension
- Three month probation time
recruitinggaf [dot] de
+49 (0) 89 121528 - 0
Would you like to work with us?
If you are interested in this career opportunity, please send your meaningful CV along with an indication of your salary expectations (gross) and your earliest possible entry date to recruitinggaf [dot] de within one PDF file. Please use the keyword “Remote Sensing Specialist for Forest Monitoring Tasks”.